04 June 2010

Serendipity

A long time ago in elementary school I read a book called Serendipity: Accidental Discoveries in Science. I don't remember much about it except learning the word serendipity. I liked that word. It was long, fun to say, and made you seem smart.

Well, having a baby has made me more aware of product recalls, and hazards. I'm not concerned about the ones I call stupid (like the Toy Dart Gun recall) but more the dangerous ones. So I signed up on the notification list.

Imagine my surprise when last night I got an email warning about a dishwasher that poses a fire hazard, and has caused a kitchen fire. Especially since it's our dishwasher!

So, maybe not quite serendipitous as I wanted to know about recalls, but I definitely wasn't looking for anything outside of baby/kid stuff.

3 comments:

Cami said...

And did you know that was the first word in the National Spelling Bee this week? How serendipitous.

I think I have that dishwasher, too. Now I have to decide how much I want to avoid another kitchen fire.

Unknown said...

That's funny!
We are making Maytag come repair it on Wednesday. I'll let you know how it goes. I decided I wasn't up to redoing my kitchen at this time.

Anne said...

wow, scary! yeah, i would have pre-empted the kitchen fire too.