26 October 2009

New Recipe#1

I made squash soup. It was fairly easy, and I meant to take a picture. But I became a little disturbed about the fact that while it was deliciously tasty, it looked a lot like baby food....

Recipe: (created by deviating from 3 separate recipes)

2 butternut squash, split in half and seeded
1 acorn squash, split in half and seeded
(side note: easiest way to seed a squash is with an ice cream scoop)

Spritz the flesh side of the squash with olive oil. Sprinkle with a dash of salt, and a dash of pepper. Place the squash halves flesh side up in a 375 oven for about 40 minutes. Pull out, and let cool for about 5 minutes (it should still be hot to warm or it will be harder to work with). Scoop all the flesh into a pot (again the ice cream scoop worked really well). Add 1 cup of chicken broth. Blend with your immersion blender. Add another cup of chicken broth. Blend again. Add 1/2 cup of cream. Blend again. Add 2 tsp -3 tsp of ginger (to taste), 2 tsp black pepper, and a dash of salt. Gently heat until hot. Enjoy!

I was stoked to find out that my food dehydrator fruit leather insert fits perfectly with my immersion blender to form a shield!

3 comments:

Cami said...

I made squash soup last night, too! Almost this same recipe except I didn't think to use acorn squash with the butternut even though I had one. I'm definitely going to try that next time.

Another difference is that we put brown sugar on top of ours (that way my kids eat it). Also, I'm to lazy to gourmet cook the squash in the oven; I just nuke it. Do you find baking it improves the flavor (as it does with most other things)?

Unknown said...

I don't know if it's better as I've never nuked it. I didn't even think about nuking it.

Anne said...

you know, you could use it as baby food... my Mary would love it! don't you love your immersion blender?