05 December 2008

A Funny Old Memory

So my last post was very sad and angry. Inspired by a friends blog, I'll share an entertaining story about bumps and bruises.

I'm not sure who's idea it was, the 9 year old (me), the 6 year old (likely), or the 5 year old. Regardless, the idea of playing hide and seek tag came up. There were very simple rules- you must put a coat over your head and find your siblings then tag them before they run away. As the youngest, of course Dustin was "It" first. As we ran up the stairs around the cedar chest- he didn't. Instead he hit the corner at full blast, and then the screams came at full blast. He managed to not get blood on the coat, but there was a fair amount of blood on the chest, on the floor, and on my brother.

We went to the Emergency room. Which by the way is a great punishment for the older kids. We sat and sat and sat. No television or gameboys or ipods or anything. Just a verbal lashing. And then my brother finally went back, they determined he needed stitches, and pulled out the needle to numb his head. He yelled and screamed SO loud that all the other kids in the emergency room started crying and some of their parents had to leave with them.

We never played hide and seek tag again, although we did end up at the emergency room a few more times, usually because of my dad.

2 comments:

Cami said...

Your parents seem to have had Solomon-like wisdom in taking you to the ER. Thanks for sharing this story; it makes me feel better. And I like that the title of this is "A Funny Old Memory."

Unknown said...

Well, bumps and bruises get more funny as time goes on.